I'm a writer and former journalist who has lived in London for more than 30 years. I love meeting new people and showing them the most fun and exciting places that this city has to offer.
Budget travellers, First time visitors, High-end travellers, New residents, Off the beaten-path, Senior travellers, Solo travellers, Travellers with babies, Travellers with kids, Travellers with teenagers
Art, Food, Culture, Nightlife
South West, Borough, South Bank, Westminster
My most exciting things to do in London
I always love to take a long walk along the South Bank. From London Waterloo you can saunter down to the Thames to see the London Eye and a decent view of the Houses of Parliament. Then by following the river West you're treated to a procession of the most vibrant cultural hotspots in the capital: The Royal Festival Hall, the Hayward Gallery, the South Bank Centre, The National Theatre, and then a little further on, the Tate Modern, Globe Theatre, and the Millennium Footbridge; if desired, the latter can then take you up to St Paul's Cathedral. I've lived in London all my life, and I still find this walk to be among the nicest activities in the city - and it's free. There's so much creative energy down there, so much architectural beauty, and depending on the day you go, you also get to check out things like the pop-up food market at the Royal Festival Hall, or the second-hand book sellers who nestle under Waterloo Bridge.
How many hours should you book?
Following is a brief guide to help you decide how many hours to book your Local Host for
- Meet your Local Host for a coffee anywhere in the city or at your hotel and get advice on things to do and see during your stay
- Explore a small area or street of the city to get insider insights and advice from your Local Host
- Explore a mainstream area of the city to see the main tourist sites but also to discover hidden gems that most tourists miss
- Discover an "off the beaten path" area of the city loved by locals and get a feel for what makes the city so special
- Visit some of the main tourist sites, get insider insights from your Local Host and discover hidden gems along the way
- Focus on a specific neighbourhood or larger area of the city, discover its streets and places locals frequent and get a real insight into what really makes the city beat
- Explore an area of the city that offers interesting things to see and do day and night and stop for a drink at some of the best bars along the way
- Visit a child friendly area of the city and have time for the kids to run around and explore any interesting shops and attractions. Get advice from your Local Host on child friendly places to eat and visit during your stay
- See all or most of the main tourist sites in different locations of the city, stop for a drink or quick lunch at a cafe or restaurant recommended by your Local Host and based on what you like, get insider insights and discover hidden gems along the way
- Mix it! Visit some of the main tourist sites and then go off to explore an off the beaten path neighbourhood loved by locals. Stop for a drink or quick lunch along the way
- Choose a theme such as food discovery, best markets, vintage shopping, music scene, trendy scene, history, art etc and let your Local Host plan an outing across several areas of the city covering the best of your chosen theme
- Give your Local Host a list of all the places you want to visit and things you want to do and let him/her plan an outing that makes the most of your time including organising tickets to attractions etc.
- See all the main tourist sites in different locations of the city, stop for lunch at a cafe or restaurant recommended by your Local Host, have time to pop into any shops, galleries or places of interest along the way, get insider insights and discover hidden gems
- Mix it! Visit the main tourist sites and then go off to explore one or more off the beaten path neighbourhoods loved by locals. Stop for lunch or dinner and drinks along the way