What you'll do
Edinburgers are passionate and proud of their city’s regional produce, national dishes and traditional dishes which the locals love! Classic foods like haggis, neeps and tatties are as popular today as they were as they were historically, so as you explore the city sampling its delights, you’ll also learn about the heritage of theses dishes and the history behind them.
Begin your experience in a cosy Edinburgh cafe, where you’ll get to know your local and be introduced to the city’s food scene. Indulge in some tea and sweet treats like shortbread or scones, before you start your culinary adventure.
Visit one of the city’s incredible food markets - if you’re lucky enough to be in town on the right day! Peruse the stalls and sample delicacies like smoked Scottish salmon and trout, cured meats, jams and preserves, local gin and cakes. Your local will also take you to a speciality cheese shop, where you can taste regional, award winning specialty cheeses; you’ll probably want to buy some, and some home made preserves, to take home with you!
Next, visit a bakery which is a local institution, and famous for its Scotch pies! These indulgent, double crust pies may be wee (as the locals say!), but their hearty minced meat filling will certainly warm you up on a chilly Edinburgh day.
Finally, you’ll head to a traditional local pub to taste the classic dish of haggis, served with mashed parsnips and potatoes! Discover the history of this dish, and enjoy it alongside a wee dram of single malt whisky, a local brewed beer or soft drink. Cheers!
Important note: The majority of food markets are only open on Saturdays and Sundays, mainly between 10am and 5pm, with a large streetfood market open Fridays 11am to 7pm. We advise booking within these timeframes to get the most out of your experience. For more information and help get in touch with us at info@cityunscripted and we can work around your needs.
* 100% Private and personalised experience
* 3 hours with a Local Host
* 6-8 Tastings of local specialities and a dram of whiskey, pint of craft beer or fresh pressed local fruit juice
* Scenic walking experience
What's Not Included
* Food and drinks additional to those stated above
* Tickets to any attractions
* Transportation costs
* Gratuities (optional)
Cancel up to 14 days before your experience and get a full refund.
Your meeting point is flexible, and to be agreed with your Local Host. Meet-up at your hotel or accommodation can be requested, or your Local Host will meet you at a convenient location close to the start of your experience.
* Join a local foodie to eat and drink your way around Edinburgh!
* Sample 6 - 8 dishes and a dram of whisky, a pint of craft beer or a locally pressed fruit juice
* Enjoy some local cakes and sweet treats like scones and shortbread in a cafe
* Stroll through the city and learn about it’s food culture, the ingredients and produce that go into each traditional recipe
* Explore a famers’ market or a speciality cheese shop to sample cheeses, cured meats, smoked salmon and home made preserves and baked goods
* Visit a bakery and taste a Scotch pie, a locally loved, humble yet delicious pie
* Finally enjoy the traditional Scottish dish of haggis, neeps and tatties in an authentic local pub, along with a whisky, locally brewed craft beer or soft drink
* Learn about local ingredients, recipes and food traditions from your local