What you'll do
Your host will organise your train tickets from Tokyo, and will create a bespoke itinerary for you to enjoy once you reach this enchanting city that’s tucked between mountains and lakes on the border of the Nikko National Park.
If you’d like to make the most of your time outdoors, your host will create the perfect outdoor adventure for you which takes in the stunning natural beauty of the National Park. See two of Japan’s most stunning waterfalls; the Ryuzu Waterfall is renowned for the beauty of its autumn leaves and the Kegon Waterfall is regarded as one of the most beautiful in all of Japan. You could also stroll or hike along one of the trails which wind their way up the Hangetsuyama Mountain, or along the shores of Lake Chuzenji.
Nikko is also famous for its historic sites which date back to the Edo period, and for its culturally significant Buddhist and Shinto shrines and temples. Discover the lavish Nikko Toshogu Shrine, a UNESCO World Heritage Site which was built in 1617 during the Edo era, and is known for its bright colours and the iconic Three Wise Monkeys which are carved into the shrine.
See the ‘shinkyo’, or sacred red bridge which crosses the Daiya River at the entrance to the Futarasan Shrine, the ornate Taiyuinbyo Shrine and the Rinnoji Temple. With so many sacred religious sites to discover, your local will recommend the ones you’ll most enjoy seeing.
Of course, you’ll want to taste some of the local speciality dishes while you’re here! Nikko is known for its ‘soba’ (buckwheat noodles) and ‘yuba’ (tofu skin), so your local will take you to an authentic local eatery where you can enjoy these delicacies as part of a traditional ‘yuba gozen’ set meal, or recommend a restaurant if you’d prefer to try another specialty like tempura!
If you’re interested in sake, Nikko is the perfect place to visit a brewery and sample fresh sake as well as learning about how its brewed.
With so much to see and do in Nikko, your host will design an experience which takes in the famous sites you’d most like to see, blends some beautiful natural landscapes into the mix and of course includes tasting the local specialty dishes and sake.
* Private and personalised itinerary
* 10 hours with a Local Host
* Return travel from Tokyo to Nikko on Tobu Railway Limited Express
* Nikko Tourist Pass (bought in advance by local) includes free travel in Nikko and some tourist discounts/entrance to some ticketed sites
* Walking experience once in Nikko
What's Not Included
* Food and drinks
* Tickets to any attractions other than those included
* Transport costs other than those included
* Gratuities (optional)
Your meeting point is flexible, and to be agreed with your Local Host. Meet-up at your hotel or accommodation can be requested, or your Local Host will meet you at a convenient location close to the start of your experience.
Cancel up to 14 days prior to the experience and get full refund
* Join a Local Host to take the train from Tokyo to the beautiful mountain city of Nikko
* Explore the area which is known for its historic Edo cultural and religious sites and its beautiful landscapes
* Visit the Toshogu Shrine, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Taiyuinbyo Shrine and the Rinnoji Temple
* Soak up the rich culture and history of the area as you explore with your host
* Perhaps you’d like to visit a sake brewery and learn how the rice wine is brewed before you sample some!
* Enjoy a delicious lunch at a spot that’s recommended by your host, and where you can try the local speciality dishes
* See the National Park and its famous waterfalls, mountain and lakes
Day Trip to Nikko | TokyoReview by: Anja B
Fabulous day trip to Nikko
We had a fantastic time in Nikko with Fulvio! He was a fantastic host for our trip. Fulvio was very knowledgeable about Nikko and the sites. It super nice and super pleasant to spend a day with him - we had great conversations. We will definitely see him out again on out next trip. The highlight was the sake brewery visit!