What you'll do
Stroll by the Toki no Kane bell tower, the Hattori Museum of Folklore, home to a small display of old medicines, advertisements and sandals and the Kawagoe Festival Museum, which exhibits the great floats used during the iconic October festival. Perhaps you’ll soak up the sights of the Kawagoe Castle, which dates back to the 15th century. Admire the"Yagura" (tower) and primary hall (Honmaru Goten) which still remain. Walk through the old corridors, spacious tatami rooms, peaceful Japanese garden, and enjoy the ornate features and displays of cultural heritage. Sit with three models of a feudal lord and his vassals, and imagine what it must have been like to hold a discussion in ancient times.
Your Local might take you offbeat to a noodle shop which doubles up as a small museum with collections of sketches, documents and edo era tools and armor. Taste several kinds of soy sauce at the Matsumoto Soy Sauce Shop. Try tea from the Black tea Roman Maison Shimano. Discover the hidden gems in the mystical Kawagoe area that are just around the corner from iconic attractions, and see its historic streets in a new light with your local by your side, who will also give you recommendations for other things to do in the area and restaurants to try.
- Private and personalised itinerary
- 6 hours with a Host
- Return travel from Tokyo to kawagoe
- Walking experience once in kawagoe
What's Not Included
- Food and drinks
- Tickets to any attractions
- Transport costs other than those included
- Gratuities (optional)
Cancel up to 7 days before your experience and get a full refund.
Your meeting point is flexible, and to be agreed with your Host. Meet-up at your hotel or accommodation can be requested, or your Host will meet you at a convenient location close to the start of your experience.
- Shop handmade wares, local crafts, souvenirs and foods
- Join a Host to wander the neighbourhood’s hidden gems
- Discover tips and tricks for the best places to enjoy your stay
- Private and personalised experience
- 6 hours with a Host Walking experience
- Return train tickets from Tokyo