What you'll do
Join a like-minded Local Host to immerse yourself in the most enchanting districts in Kyoto as they come to life as night falls, exploring the historic old quarter and modern areas where you’ll find beautiful shrines that have stood for centuries. Even in the most modern districts, historic shrines are still standing, nestled between brightly lit modern shops - and even though they may be closed, these Shinto shrines are beautifully lit by lanterns and make for perfect photos.
Wander through Gion, the historic Geisha district where you can get a little lost in the narrow streets and appreciate the tradition and beauty of the classic architecture while the area is lit with the glow of paper lanters - you may even see elegant geiko and meiko floating through the alleyways.
Let your Local Host take you to their favourite izakaya, the drinking houses where locals gather after work to share a few drinks and delicious bar food staples like gyoza and yakitori, then head to a tachinomiya, the street-side bars where locals drink standing up as there’s no chairs!
Get to know your Local Host over the evening, and they can recommend other spots in the city that will fascinate you, and recommend shrines, izakaya, shopping districts or places to eat for the rest of your trip so you can continue to see the city through a local lens.
- Explore the most magical parts of the city as night falls
- Discover where beautiful shrines have stood for centuries and see alleyways lit by traditional lanterns
- See the historic old quarter as well as the most cosmopolitain parts of the city as they're lit up at night
- Wander through the enchanting Geisha district
- Share some local dishes and a beer with your local at an izakaya
What to expect
We’ll be in touch within 24 hours after booking to find out more about your personality and interests so we can assign a like-minded Local who can create a bespoke experience for you.
Your Local Host will communicate with you directly to suggest an itinerary based on your wishes and interests and to agree a meeting time and place. Your itinerary is flexible, so during the experience you can always change your mind about what you want to do.
Your Local Host may also suggest adjustments or new routes if they feel that there is something just around the corner that you may enjoy, or perhaps if the weather affects your itinerary.
Although the focus will be on Kyoto by night, your Local Host will also help you to discover unique shops, inspiring places and independent galleries as well as sharing stories that you won’t find in a guidebook, and make the city unique.
* Private and personalised experience
* 4 hours with a Local host
* Pick-up from your accommodation (within a reasonable distance)
* Walking experience (other transport can be arranged at an additional cost)
What's not included
* Food and drinks
* Tickets to any attractions
* Transportation costs
* Gratuities (optional)
Cancel up to 7 days before your experience and get a full refund.
To be agreed with your Local Host.