What you'll do
Start your experience with a freshly ground coffee and cinnamon pastry - you may be surprised to learn that at one point thanks to its trade routes, Hamburg was the largest coffee market in the world! Accompany this with a freshly baked and still warm from the oven ‘franzbrötchen’, the locals’ take on the French croissant, with lots of cinnamon and sugar added!
With so many unique and quirky stores to browse, pop up markets to investigate and so much radical street art to admire, of course you’ll need plenty of food stops to refuel!
Stop to taste the foodie delights of Hamburg’s unique food scene, which have been heavily influenced by the seafood available every day from the harbour, and traditional sailor’s dishes. Try classics like ‘fischbrötchen’, a roll filled with salty North Sea picked herring, ‘Finkenwerder Scholle’, plaice that’s pan fried with bacon and ‘labskaus’, a highly unusual yet traditional dish of corned beef and mashed potatoes that’s served with herring and a fried egg!
Also get a taste of the seasonal ingredients that locals love’ depending on which time of year you visit Hamburg, you could taste the winter staple of ‘grünkohl’, kale served with smoked pork and sausages, or the summer favourite ‘rote grütze', stewed summer berries with cream.
With a local by your side, you’ll be able to discover the dishes that are classic staples of the city in one of its most dynamic neighbourhoods, so you’ll enjoy a taste of the city’s tradition and as well as its modernity. Perhaps end your foodie experience in a trendy cocktail bar or concept bar where you can sip a local brew and decide which dish was your favourite!
What To Expect
We’ll be in touch within 24 hours after booking to find out more about your personality, interests and the food you love so we can assign a like-minded local who can create a bespoke experience for you.
Your Local Host will communicate with you directly to suggest a few trattoria options and agree a meeting time and place.
Although you will enjoy a meal at a great trattoria, your Local Host will also help you with suggestions to discover other great places to eat & drink and suggest local spots that you won’t find in a guidebook and that makes the city unique.
* Private and personalised experience
* 4 hours with a Local Host
* 6-8 tastings of various Hamburg specialities
* A coffee and a craft beer or a soft drink
* Walking experience (other transport can be arranged at an additional cost)
What's Not Included
* Food and drinks additional to the ones included in the experience
* Tickets to any attractions
* Transportation costs
* Gratuities (optional)
Your meeting point is flexible, and to be agreed with your Local Host. Meet-up at your hotel or accommodation can be requested, or your Local Host will meet you at a convenient location close to the start of your experience.
Cancel up to 14 days before your experience and get a full refund.
* Join a local to discover Hamburg’s food culture, and the classical northern German dishes that are local favourites
* Eat and drink your way around the bohemian Sternschanze neighbourhood and discover its hipster vibe
* Enjoy 6-8 tastings of local food and drinks from coffee shops, street food stalls and authentic eateries
* Discover the city’s culinary history and the influence the harbour has on its dishes
* Get recommendations for restaurants and bars to try during the rest of your trip so you can continue to eat and drink like a local!