What you'll do
From its beginnings as a small farming village, the neighbourhood has evolved into one of Tokyo’s most bohemian and creative districts, which today is known for its thriving arts culture and a music scene which is renowned all over Japan as the country’s best.
Stroll along narrow streets which are barely big enough to let a car squeeze through and spot the incredible wall murals and street art which adorn seemingly every available wall in the area! Along its tiny alleyways are a plethora of vintage, thrift and vinyl stores whose wares spill out onto the pavement and are displayed like works of art decorating the neighbourhood.
Known for more than its second hand shops selling books, old tea sets, bric a brac and everything in between, browse unique boutiques where you can find everything from quirky homeware to unbranded clothing to art bookshops - you could spend hours browsing these small stores which spring out from seemingly every available space.
When it comes to food you’re spoiled for choice - enjoy cheap eats at tiny neighbourhood ramen, soba or sushi joints, refuel with a coffee from one of the trendy Antipodean style coffee shops which are popping up in the area or check out a foodie pop up, Shimokitazawa Cage, a community space where you’ll find a revolving cluster of food trucks.
As well as thrift store finds, a unique sense of style and an emerging hip(ster) vibe, the neighbourhood is probably most famous for its live music scene. Known throughout the whole of Japan, this is where up and coming indie bands showcase their talents, and you’ll find more live music venues here than anywhere else in Tokyo. If you’re lucky, head to a bar where you can catch some live music or let your local give you the rundown on the neighbourhood’s music scene and recommend the best bars and venues to come back to once night has fallen!
* Private & personalised experience
* 3 hours with a Local Host
* A coffee or non-alcoholic drink one of the neighbourhood quirky coffee shops
* Walking experience
* Additional food and drinks
* Tickets to any attractions
* Transportation costs
* Gratuities (optional)
Your meeting point is flexible, and to be agreed with your Local Host. Meet-up at your hotel or accommodation can be requested, or your Local Host will meet you at a convenient location close to the start of your experience.
Cancel up to 7 days before your experience and get a full refund.
* Visit Shimokitazawa, Tokyo’s trendy bohemian neighbourhood, with a like-minded local
* Get off the beaten path and discover an alternative side to Tokyo in this hip and artistic enclave
* Explore the tangle of tiny streets, see amazing street art and browse the hundreds of vintage and vinyl stores
* Enjoy a perfectly brewed coffee or a drink from one the many quirky coffee shops the area is famous for
* Discover the unique style and spirit of the neighbourhood as you explore with a local
* Immerse yourself in its buzzing music scene which is renowned all over Japan and get recommendations from your local for the best live music venues and bars to visit