What you'll do
Experience the vibrancy of the floating gardens as you take to the water! It’s up to you whether you’d like to explore the waterways under your own steam and paddle a kayak, or you’d like the traditional experience of riding on a “tajinera”, the brilliantly colourful, flat bottomed boats which are the quintessential way to experience Xochimilco.
As you explore the waterways, your local will point out unique islands and share with you the fascinating history of canals and the traditional architecture, you can listen to the famous mariachi bands who traverse the waterways and spot some of the 250 species of birds who call this cultural landscape home.
You’ll paddle (or float!) your way through a nature reserve, where locals have set up a grassroots community project to protect native species of aquatic life like endemic species like axolotl and ahuejote and stop to see the project for yourself. You’ll meet the locals who are fighting to protect their cultural landscape and discover the real Xochimilco that most tourists never see.
After you’ve enjoyed exploring the ancient canals, it’s time to head back to dry land and discover the real barrio of Xochimilco. Visit the vibrant market, where you’ll feast on traditional, pre-Hispanic food and sip drinks like “pulque” to cool down as you soak up the authentic local atmosphere.
Explore the traditional barrio and its historic streets, downtown Xochimilco and the San Bernardino de Siena Church, getting a feel for the real Xochimilco and connecting with its people and culture beyond simply enjoying a gondola ride!
* Private and personalised experience
* 5 hours with a Local Host
* Uber to and from Xochimilco
What's Not Included
* Food & drinks
* Entry to additional ticketed attractions
* Gratuties (optional)
This is a walking city discovery and thus entry to museums is not part of the experience although this can be arranged at an additional cost.
Wear a hat and comfy shoes, as this is a four hour walking experience and you will want to be comfortable.
Cancel up to 14 days before your experience and get a full refund.
Your meeting point is flexible, and to be agreed with your Local Host. Meet-up at your hotel or accommodation can be requested, or your Local Host will meet you at a convenient location close to the start of your experience.
* Join a local archeologist to discover the history and culture of Xochimilco, the floating gardens and agricultural waterways which date back to the times of the Aztec people
* Enjoy a ride on a traditional gondola or paddle your own kayak along the ancient canals
* See the hundreds of native species of birds, animals and aquatic life in a nature reserve
* Visit the local barrio of Xochimilco and visit its vibrant markets and landmarks
* Taste delicious and authentic pre-Hispanic food and drinks which your local recommends
* Visit a grassroots community project where locals are fighting to save endangered native species
* Learn about the history of these ancient farming waterways, soak up the culture and enjoy the atmosphere
Xochimilco Experience | Mexico CityReview by: Laura C
Xochimilco: The Venice of Mexico City
My son, daughter, and I toured Xochimilco with Nuria. We expect the normal sorts of guide behaviors: on time, personable, knowledgeable, etc. While we got that, we also got SO MUCH MORE. Nuria was also charming and understood immediately what got us excited--the bird life, the off the beaten track sights and experiences, the food, the Pulque. Her love of her city is contagious. And she was generous with her recommendations for other off-the-beaten-track suggestions for what to see, where to shop, where to eat. It's a shame there are only five stars!!
Xochimilco Experience | Mexico CityReview by: Mandy T
We had a wonderful time with Roberto in xochimilco and it really would not have been the same had we ventured there on our own. It is such a colorful place and just a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of the city but more than that, Roberto told us the history of the place and we learned about its importance in modern times, which made the tour much more interesting. Definitely go with Roberto if you are thinking of visiting!