What you'll do
Join a Local host who is a fellow history lover to discover a culturally rich and diverse Tokyo, seeing how the city fuses the most cutting edge, modern styles with its traditional heritage.
Immerse yourself in Tokyo's culture and history through exploring famous sites as well as unique, less well-known venues whose history is known by the locals.
Stroll through neighbourhoods famed for their ancient roots and learn about the different Japanese imperial eras.
Spend time getting to know your local and learn about other historically significant and interesting things to see and do in the city as well as discovering some secret local spots!
- Discover Tokyo with a local who is passionate about history
- Explore historic neighbourhoods and famous sites
- Get to know more about the periods in Japanese history that most fascinate you
- Discover hidden historic spots and hear local stories that you wouldn't find in a guidebook
- See how traditional heritage still plays an important part in modern culture
- Get tips and tricks for other historic area to visit during your stay
What to expect
We’ll be in touch within 24 hours after booking to find out more about your personality and interests so we can assign a like-minded Local Host who will create a bespoke experience for you.
Your Local Host will communicate with you directly by email to suggest an itinerary and agree a meeting time and place. Your itinerary is flexible, so during the experience you can always change your mind about what you want to do.
Your Local host may also suggest adjustments or new routes if they feel that there is something just around the corner that you may enjoy, or perhaps if the weather affects your itinerary.
Although you will see the main attractions in the area, your Local Host will also help you to discover the places, things and stories that you won’t find in a guidebook and that make the Tokyo truly unique.
How this benefits you
Tokyo can feel like a a tricky city to get to grips with, but with a Local Host by your side the city will feel less intimidating. You’ll be able to go beyond the superficial, connect with Tokyo and its people and immerse yourself in its unique culture.
With a like-minded Local Host by your side, discover the real history of the city through its people and go beyond simply seeing the main sights.
See the main attractions with the benefit of local knowledge, skip tourist pitfalls and experience life like a local. Your Local Host will help you explore off the beaten path areas as well as the most famous (and busy!) spots, and introduce you to the local cuisine.
Our Local Hosts in Tokyo can all speak English and Japanese, but many also speak Italian, French, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Malay, Indonesian, Russian and Polish so they can connect with you culturally as well as with your personality.
* Private and personalised experience
* 3 hours with a Local Host
* Pick-up from your accommodation (within a reasonable distance)
* Walking experience (other transport can be arranged at an additional cost)
What's not included
* Food and drinks
* Tickets to any attractions
* Transportation costs
* Gratuities (optional)
Cancel up to 7 days before your experience and get a full refund.
To be agreed with your Local Host.