What you'll do
Ottensen was once a working class, industrial neighbourhood which was home to immigrant populations, but today has transformed into a diverse and buzzing district where global heritage meets an alternative vibe.
This is the city’s second shopping district, and is more popular with the locals than the city centre, so you’ll find unique boutiques, quirky stores and cosy independent shops.
As well as shopping, the area is known for its art and culture! Discover a couple of the five theatres which the area is home to and check their programmes for interesting plays you could watch later in your trip, visit the Zeisehallen, a disused ship propellor factory which has been transformed into an arthouse cinema, and the music venue Die Fabrik, which was an ammunition depot before it became a concert hall.
Your host will share all of the most beloved local hideouts with you, so you can stop for a drink in a local bar, grab a bite to eat from one of the many of cafes and restaurants, browse flea markets or visit galleries and cultural venues, giving you a taste of why this neighbourhood is a local’s favourite!
* Private and personalised experience
* 3 hours with a Local host
* Walking experience (other transport can be arranged at an additional cost)
What's Not Included
* Food and drinks
* Tickets to any attractions
* Transportation costs
* Gratuities (optional)
Cancel up to 7 days before your experience and get a full refund.
Your meeting point is flexible, and to be agreed with your Local Host. Meet-up at your hotel or accommodation can be requested, or your Local Host will meet you at a convenient location close to the start of your experience.
* Join a like-minded local to explore the Ottensen neighbourhood, the second biggest shopping area but one which has remained off the tourist trail
* Browse independent shops, quirky boutiques and flea markets, not chain stores
* Discover unique venues like an old ammunition factory turned music venue, and a factory which is now an arthouse cinema
* Discover the area’s 5 theatres and see if something on their programme catches your eye
* Enjoy the area’s vibrant restaurant and bar culture as you stop for a drink and bite to eat
* Get tips and tricks for other unique places to visit in this neighbourhood and beyond, so you can continue to explore Hamburg like a local