What you'll do
Begin your day with an early start for a glimpse into the mysterious world of the city's Buddhist monks, the customs of which remain hidden to outsiders. In the beautiful temple district, see the monks collecting Alms, donations of food from the community and learn from your local about this custom.
Visit Nang Loeng, an off the beaten path neighbourhood that's still home to a tight-knit local community, a centuries old market and the oldest traditional wood theatre in Thailand. This is one of the last refuges for traditional Thai performances, so if you're interested, your local can arrange tickets for a later time.
Here, you'll also stop to enjoy an authentic local breakfast, either from a local street food market or neighbourhood eatery. Taste classic breakfast dishes like joke (a type of porridge) nam tao hoo (soy milk), patongo (Thai doughnuts), gai yang (grilled chicken skewers) or moo ping (grilled pork skewers with sticky rice).
Next, head to Baan Silapin, also known as the Artist's House on the banks of the Yai Canal - here you'll discover hidden gems like an art gallery, and see the traditional Thai puppet show (daily at 2pm).
Get tips and recommendations from your local about other off the beaten path neighbourhoods to explore, which street food markets to visit for the most authentic food and other spots where you can learn more about Bangkok's traditional customs and rich culture.
What To Expect
We’ll be in touch within 24 hours after booking to find out more about your personality and interests so we can assign a like-minded local who can create a bespoke experience for you.
Your Local Host will communicate with you directly to suggest an itinerary and agree a meeting time and place. Your itinerary is flexible, so during the experience you can always change your mind about what you want to do (and eat!).
Your Local Host may also suggest adjustments or new routes if they feel that there is something just around the corner that you may enjoy, or perhaps if the weather affects your itinerary.
Although you will see the main attractions in the area, your Local Host will also help you to discover the places, things and stories that you won’t find in a guidebook and that make the city unique.
* Private and personalised experience
* 6 hours with a Local Host
* A traditional Thai breakfast from a local street food market or neighbourhood eatery
* Walking experience (other transport can be arranged at an additional cost)
What's Not Included
* Food and drinks other than the ones included in the experience
* Tickets to any attractions
* Transportation costs
* Gratuities (optional)
Your meeting point is flexible, and to be agreed with your Local Host. Meet-up at your hotel or accommodation can be requested, or your Local Host will meet you at a convenient location close to the start of your experience.
Cancel up to 14 days before your experience and get a full refund.
* Join a local to be introduced toBangkok's rich traditions, customs and historic culture
* Discover hidden gems and off the beaten path markets and neighbourhoods
* Glimpse the hidden world of the Buddhist monks as they collect Alms
* Visit a neighbourhood with a centuries old markets and the oldest wooden theatre in Thailand
* Discover an Artist's Village where you can see a traditional puppet show and visit a Thai art gallery
* Learn about traditional crafts, dances, customs and traditions from your local
* Enjoy an authentic local breakfast from a neighbourhood food market or eater
An Introduction to Thai culture | BangkokReview by: Susan R
Zarat was excellent. He was very accommodating and wonderful to be with and did an amazing tour
An Introduction to Thai culture | BangkokReview by: Janti C
Very good passionate guide with sense of humor