What you'll do
You’ll eat your way around a neighbourhood which suits the kind of experience you’re looking for - maybe you’d like to experience the crazy, inclusive and fast paced mayhem of Shinjuku, or maybe you’d prefer to venture to an area like Ikebukuro, a business district that’s known as the entrance to suburbia where you’ll find plenty of commuters, and almost as many sushi restaurants!
Head to a kaitenzushi restaurant, which means sushi train or conveyor belt. Sushi train restaurants usually serve sushi closer to the budget end than high end, and are the perfect stop for a lunch-time visit.
Then, maybe you’d like to know where to get cheap, on the go sushi - without compromising on quality. Your host will share with you a tip or two of where to get your chopsticks on this (spoiler alert and local hack - it’s in a department store!)
Maybe you’d like to go sky high and enjoy sushi with a view from an (almost) rooftop restaurant, or maybe you’d like to get lost in the streets of suburbia and squeeze in to a tiny sushi joint where you’ll be amazed by the delicacy and intricacy of making sushi as you watch the chefs at work.
You could even opt for something completely off the wall and head to a sushi restaurant where you catch your own fish!
Whatever your style, along the way you’ll learn how to eat sushi like a local, discover just how highly respected sushi and sashimi making is in Japan and glimpse into the intricate art form that is making it. Your host will also teach you how to spot a good sushi restaurant, the need-to-know sushi etiquette that will stand you in good stead for the rest of your trip and recommend other restaurants to try.
- Private and personalised experience
- 3 hours with a host
- Walking experience (other transport can be arranged at an additional cost)
- 6-8 tastings of various local sushi dish
- a glass of sake, highbowl, wine, beer or soft drink
What's Not Included
- Additional food and drinks from the ones provided in the experience
- Tickets to any attractions
- Transportation costs
- Gratuities (optional)
Cancel up to 14 days before your experience and get a full refund.
Your meeting point is flexible, and to be agreed with your Local Host. Meet-up at your hotel or accommodation can be requested, or your Local Host will meet you at a convenient location close to the start of your experience.
- Join a sushi loving host to sample your way around four different places serving sushi in a neighbourhood that suits your style
- Experience four very different sushi styles, from cheap and on-the-go to conveyor belt to even a restaurant where you can catch your own fish
- Learn how to eat sushi like a local, sushi etiquette as well as how to spot good sushi
- Get recommendations from your host for other sushi restaurants to try during the rest of your trip