What you'll do
Let your Host know what you’re most interested in, and they’ll take you and your tastebuds on a journey you won’t forget! You’ll learn that here, each popular dish has its own “town” – a street filled with restaurants all serving their versions of that particular food. So choose a few dishes or let your Host recommend their favourites, and visit the best “towns” for a dish or two, where you’re guaranteed to find the best version of each dish.
Explore the historic Namdaemun Market, a buzzing market which has been part of local life for over 600 years. Explore the stalls and sample a couple of dishes as they’re cooked up in front of you, or taste local snacks or fresh produce, wander through the this hub of local life and soak up the history and and culture of the market.
Maybe you can’t wait to visit an authentic Korean BBQ restaurant - eating Korean barbecue is an experience best shared, and your Host will recommend the best options, how to order and explain any ingredients you may be unfamiliar with.
Or maybe you’d like to try traditional dishes which are so loved by the locals, they’re still cooked to centuries old recipes. In that case, you could visit the Ikseondong or Jongno neighbourhoods, where you can try dishes like mandu (dumplings), spicy chicken stew at sikdang which has been making this dish for over 50 years or kalguksu (a noodle soup) at a restaurant which only makes this one dish!
As you weave your way through the city, you can stop to try street eats along the way as you learn about Seoul’s food culture, and get recommendations from your Host for some of the best local sikdang and food towns to check out during the rest of your trip.
- Private and personalised experience
- 4 hours with a Host
- 6-8 tastings of various local food specialties
- A glass of wine, beer or soft drink
- Walking experience (other transport can be arranged at an additional cost)
What's Not Included
- Food and drinks other than the ones included in the experience
- Tickets to any attractions
- Transportation costs
- Gratuities (optional)
Your meeting point is flexible, and to be agreed with your Host. Meet-up at your hotel or accommodation can be requested, or your Host will meet you at a convenient location close to the start of your experience.
Cancel up to 14 days before your experience and get a full refund.
- Join a local to immerse yourself in Seoul’s local culture through its food
- Explore the Namdaemun Market and explore the stalls selling ingredients and fresh produce
- Sample a couple of dishes, local snacks or fruits that are recommended by your local and typical of the market
- Visit a food “town” and taste the dish that the area is famous for
- Enjoy sitting down to share a meal with your local at a Korean barbecue restaurant
- Explore districts that are rich in culture and culinary heritage, and try a traditional dish like dumplings or noodle soup
- Learn about the local street food culture and try one of the city’s street eats along the way
Eat Like a Local in Seoul | SeoulReview by: Kristen S
Wonderful tour of the city!
We had such an amazing time with Yujin! She met us at our hotel and showed us all we needed to know about using the metro in Seoul. We had told her about wanting to try street foods so we went to Myeongdong and also that we wanted to try korean BBQ so she took us to her fave spot! We then walked to another market called Namdaemun and finished in another bar area with her. It was so great to get a local's point of view and to have her help navigating such a new city.
Eat Like a Local in Seoul | SeoulReview by: Brandi S
Food tour with Ben was awesome!
Ben took us on a food tour. We ate some great street food, walked around markets and then ate in a fantastic restaurant. Finally we went to a dessert cafe and had wonderful sherbet. Ben was a ton of fun. I will recommend him to all of my friends traveling to Seoul!
Eat Like a Local in Seoul | SeoulReview by: Clark C
Ben is one of a kind. This food tour was just what my colleagues and I were looking for while we were in Seoul for a business trip. Next time I have friends going to Seoul I'll get them in touch with Ben with city unscripted to do another tour because he does such a good job.
Eat Like a Local in Seoul | SeoulReview by: Peter C
Reward yourself in Seoul
Ben's introduction to the local's foods and food providers in Seoul was a highlight. His local knowledge instilled confidence to try, and truly enjoy, what might otherwise have been passed by.