My love of exploring actually started in Thailand and Korea, where I lived for many years before coming to Japan, but Tokyo is home now! I'm a Permanent Resident and very very happy here!
I am especially interested in the sacred buildings of Tokyo, and am the author of a number of books on Tokyo temples and Buddhist pilgrimages, as well as a guide to the Christian churches and cathedrals of Tokyo. At the moment my wife and I especially love going out to Chichibu, a wonderful little town in the mountains west of Tokyo, and visiting the temples there. But we are not planning on any more books!
Instead, I've been spending most of my free time studying Japanese, especially reading. I'm a big fan of the manga Yotsubato and read along with an online reading group. And just this year I've started another brand new hobby - watching the entire Gundam series... all 40 years of it! I watch each episode first with English subtitles, and then with Japanese, and of course I'm making Gundam model kits too! I'm a total beginner, but it's great fun!
What people like about me is my enthusiasm! I wouldn't be any good at "Tokyo after dark" tours or anything like that, but for anyone interested in the traditional sights of this city, as well as modern architecture, parks, and walks in local areas, I bring energy, knowledge, the ability to compare with other countries, and a real love for this place which is now home.
And, as of January, 2019, I've just started Instagram too!
I look forward to exploring Tokyo with you soon!
PS - if you would like to walk a seven-lucky-gods pilgrimage with me, one of the best I know in Tokyo, just let me know! It's open all year round, takes just three to four hours, and is great fun.
parks, Historic Buildings, Visiting temples, Church crawling, Gundam
1. find and book
Find and book an experience or browse our Host's profiles and book your favourite one directly
2. tell us about you
We'll send a questionnaire to find out more about you, the places and things you want to see and the type of experience you're after
3. chat & plan
We'll match you to your ideal Host (if you didn't book one directly) and they'll contact you to plan your personalised experience.
4. explore together
Meet up and explore the city together. Experience the things and places that locals love and which make the city unique
My most exciting things to do in Tokyo
People who viewed Marcus also viewed these hosts
Not sure which Local to book? We know each of our Locals individually, so leave it to us to find the Local who best matches your interests, personality and requirements. Simply book below and we’ll be in touch within 24 hours to find out more about you so we can choose a like-minded Local who can create an experience in Tokyo that you will love. Alternatively, contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the proposed details of your trip so we can find the perfect Local for you!
Your Perfect Local Is Great For
Food & Drink, High-end travellers, LGBTQ, Off-the-beaten-path, Nightlife, Senior travellers, Solo travellers, Children and families, Young adults
English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Hindi, Italian, German, Dutch, Many Others
Welcome to Tokyo !! Thank you very much for choosing our country Japan as the destination of your trip. I used to be an international cabin crew and I like to meet people. I love to travel so that I hope that I can help making your trip in Tokyo more enjoyable and joyful.
NORIKO Is Great For
Business travellers, Children and families, Food & Drink, High-end travellers, History and culture, LGBTQ, Nightlife, Off-the-beaten-path, Parks and nature, Senior travellers, Solo travellers, Young adults
I am Czech living in Japan for 17 years. I work as s private guide and enjoy meeting new people and showing them around. I am huge foodie and love good wine. With big interest in Japanese culture, I can take you to many traditional places and explain the customs and traditions.
Blanka Is Great For
Business travellers, Children and families, Food & Drink, High-end travellers, LGBTQ, Nightlife, Off-the-beaten-path, Parks and nature, Senior travellers, Solo travellers, Young adults
English, Japanese, Czech
Marcus | TokyoReview by: Michael B
Great Service, greater guide
I booked two tours with CU on very short notice - a food tour and a private guided tour. Unfortunately, the food tour did not happen since no guide was available on short notice. However, CU did not only reimburse the price paid (that should go without saying) but offered two hours free of charge for my next tour with them. I did not expect that but that underlines the service minded culture of CU - and of course it will be reflected in my review here ;-) The booking was handled proper. Directly after booking I received an e-mail regarding my expectations and preferences. Afterwards I was introduced to my guide and communicated directly with him. My guide for the private guided tour was Marcus - he was great. Before the tour he said, that his USP is his passion, and he is right. One can feel that he really loves Tokyo and he really loves what he is doing. Well, guiding tourists to the Central Station and Post Office should be standard - visiting the local (free of charge) museum and the roof garden is not. With him I had several experiences like this. I highly recommend CU and Marcus for history, natural and cultural tours in Tokyo.
Marcus | TokyoReview by: Karen T
Tokyo Walking Tour
The walking /subway tour of Tokyo with Marcus was a wonderful introduction to the city. Marcus is a great guide and we had such an enjoyable and informative time! He will organise the tour to suit your interests. After the tour I was more confident to return to explore parts of Tokyo on my own.
Marcus | TokyoReview by: Sally D
Great waking tour of Tokyo
We are three women over 50 who found ourselves with one day to see Tokyo. We saw City Unscripted on the internet at about 11pm the night before and messaged them thinking that it would probably be to late to organise anything. However we were lucky that Marcus was free for a few hours the next day, so arranged to meet him at a railway station. Marcus is a knowledgeable, energetic, warm and enthusiastic guide who is happy to tailor things to your interests. We had a wonderfully varied and entertaining tour of Tokyo on foot and by subway. Marcus can take you to temples, modern architecture, shrines, funky suburbs, neon light district... We saw and learnt far more than we expected. He gave us advice for what else to see when we left him. I would highly recommend Marcus as a guide for anyone wanting to get the most out of a visit to Tokyo.
Marcus | TokyoReview by: Rachel B
A wonderful way to spend half a day
Marcus was a wonderful guide, full of knowledge about the walk we did, pointing out small details that I would have missed and inspiring me on with his enthusiasm when I was hot and tired and didn't feel like walking up a long flight of steps! I'm so glad we had lunch at the end of the walk, Marcus is such an interesting person to talk to!
How many hours should you book?
Following is a brief guide to help you decide how many hours to book your Host for
- Meet your Host for a coffee anywhere in the city or at your hotel and get advice on things to do and see during your stay
- Explore a small area or street of the city to get insider insights and advice from your Host
- Explore a mainstream area of the city to see the main tourist sites but also to discover hidden gems that most tourists miss
- Discover an "off the beaten path" area of the city loved by locals and get a feel for what makes the city so special
- Visit some of the main tourist sites, get insider insights from your Host and discover hidden gems along the way
- Focus on a specific neighbourhood or larger area of the city, discover its streets and places locals frequent and get a real insight into what really makes the city beat
- Explore an area of the city that offers interesting things to see and do day and night and stop for a drink at some of the best bars along the way
- Visit a child friendly area of the city and have time for the kids to run around and explore any interesting shops and attractions. Get advice from your Host on child friendly places to eat and visit during your stay
- See all or most of the main tourist sites in different locations of the city, stop for a drink or quick lunch at a cafe or restaurant recommended by your Host and based on what you like, get insider insights and discover hidden gems along the way
- Mix it! Visit some of the main tourist sites and then go off to explore an off the beaten path neighbourhood loved by locals. Stop for a drink or quick lunch along the way
- Choose a theme such as food discovery, best markets, vintage shopping, music scene, trendy scene, history, art etc and let your Host plan an outing across several areas of the city covering the best of your chosen theme
- Give your Host a list of all the places you want to visit and things you want to do and let him/her plan an outing that makes the most of your time including organising tickets to attractions etc.
- See all the main tourist sites in different locations of the city, stop for lunch at a cafe or restaurant recommended by your Host, have time to pop into any shops, galleries or places of interest along the way, get insider insights and discover hidden gems
- Mix it! Visit the main tourist sites and then go off to explore one or more off the beaten path neighbourhoods loved by locals. Stop for lunch or dinner and drinks along the way