Art, Fashion, Design, Shopping, museums/galleries
1. find and book
Find and book an experience or browse our Host's profiles and book your favourite one directly
2. tell us about you
We'll send a questionnaire to find out more about you, the places and things you want to see and the type of experience you're after
3. chat & plan
We'll match you to your ideal Host (if you didn't book one directly) and they'll contact you to plan your personalised experience.
4. explore together
Meet up and explore the city together. Experience the things and places that locals love and which make the city unique
My most exciting things to do in New York
People who viewed Denise also viewed these hosts
When people ask if I'm a native New Yorker, I tell them that my Dad was from Brooklyn - so I claim rights. I grew up in New Jersey and moved into the city after college. I love New York, and I've been showing visitors around the city on a regular basis since 2003. I think I'm a pretty good storyteller, and that really helps with this job. I also have some more niche passions, in particular board games, Marvel Comics and history. As much as I love the big city, I love to travel, and I enjoy meeting other travellers too. There's always more to learn, and there's always more of New York to show.
Ross Is Great For
Off-the-beaten-path, Solo travellers
My Name is Mei, I'm a Travel agent who loves to explore different places and learn about different cultures. Although I travel a lot myself. New York is always the city I love, and It's my home when I'm tired of elsewhere. New York has everything. You need at least one good meal when you travel and I will show you some of the most delicious and authentic places that I usually go (without the crowds and "fake ratings!). I also know some truly trendy places with soul which I can't wait to share with you!
Mei Is Great For
Food & Drink, Off-the-beaten-path, Senior travellers, Solo travellers
I moved to New York City as child, so it has been and still is my playground. It still enchants me everyday. I am friendly, outgoing and easy to talk to. Friends say I can almost talk to trees and birds too! I enjoy walking around the city discovering new places, restaurants, hidden gems, architecture, museums, and parks (Central Park is my favourite!). My prior and current work experience in retail, fashion, public relations, special events and in a museum has enabled me to see and experience NYC from different perspectives. I enjoy chatting to anyone who crosses my path, so join me and we'll discover the city together!
Nicole Is Great For
Food & Drink, History and culture, Off-the-beaten-path, Parks and nature, Senior travellers, Solo travellers
My name is Mark, I am originally from Massachusetts and moved to and made NYC home 2 years ago. I have lived in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens. I work in a medical office as well as work in real estate. In my 2 years living in the city, I have had an amazing time exploring this great city and everything that it has to offer. I have enjoyed all the restaurants (and trying new foods), exploring the amazing sites (empire state bldg, statue of liberty, ground zero, museums, central park, times square, top of the rocks; to name a few), took an amazing boat tour around the city, took a trip on horse and carriage through central park, attended Broadway and off Broadway plays! Its been an amazing 2 years and still discover new and exciting things everyday! I am Adventerous and love trying new things! and love meeting new people!
Mark Is Great For
Food & Drink, High-end travellers, Off-the-beaten-path, Solo travellers
Denise | New YorkReview by: luis g
Denise Foley was carefully chosen and made a perfect work. I strongly recommend her
Denise | New YorkReview by: Mary C
Great host and great day!
I booked a one on one tour of New York. My guide, Denise, was amazing. Not only did she take me to sights that I wanted to see but she also included some things that she thought might interest me. We had a great day with lots of laughs along the way. I would go back to New York in a heart beat and would definetly catch up with Denise again. Thank you City Unscripted for a great guide and a great day!
Denise | New YorkReview by: Lydia T
Three Thumbs Up for Denise!
I couldn't have asked for a better guide than Denise. Ahead of my trip to the Big Apple, I had told Denise briefly about my interests and I just want to say that she exceeded my expectations! Testament of that? Well, we extended our tour by three additional hours! Denise brought me to shops that I wouldn't have noticed if I had walked around on my own. Best of all, I scored some really fantastic buys in the process. Denise is warm, funny and the conversation never stopped flowing. I would definitely call upon her again if need be when I am next in NYC. Thanks, Denise!
Denise | New YorkReview by: Patricia H
Book Now !
I have just returned to the UK from a 2 week business trip to the States. Starting in San Francisco then on to Chicago and finally New York. The 1st two destinations my feet didn't touch the ground but I found myself with a bit of spare time in New York. I've never been before and I was travelling alone and, because we are just opening a new office in NY, I had no work colleagues to meet up with either. I thought it would be a good idea to find a local tour guide as I found myself with a completely free Sunday. I Google'd (as you do) and City Unscripted came up. With little hope of getting anything (it was Saturday afternoon) I emailed the contact. I received a very quick response. They were very honest in saying that it was very late notice but they would see if any of the NY guides were available. I was very fortunate to then receive confirmation that Denise was available for a 3 hour walking tour on the Sunday. A few questions are asked about you and what you would like to see and do and also your preferences. I was very clear that I wanted to do an architecture tour (I love art deco and was really keen to see all the 1920's and 1930's buildings in the city). Denise was amazing as this is a passion of hers as well. She took me on an amazing walking tour of the best buildings, most of which I would never have thought to visit without her inside knowledge. We did some of the absolute musts such as Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building but she also showed me some total gems. The Fred French building was, I think, my favourite and a must see if you love Art Deco buildings. Denise's knowledge was fantastic. She helped me to understand so much more about this amazing city. We were too late to get into the Library but I returned the following day and that, too, was a great treat. Whilst walking to a meeting I also got to see the iconic Flat Iron Building. Having the tour with Denise gave me the confidence to have a wander around on my own. Despite some great tips on how to navigate the grid system I still kept turning right instead of left but my sense of direction has always been appalling! To sum up, this was a brilliant way to see NY and I would definitely recommend City Unscripted based on my personal experience.
How many hours should you book?
Following is a brief guide to help you decide how many hours to book your Host for
- Meet your Host for a coffee anywhere in the city or at your hotel and get advice on things to do and see during your stay
- Explore a small area or street of the city to get insider insights and advice from your Host
- Explore a mainstream area of the city to see the main tourist sites but also to discover hidden gems that most tourists miss
- Discover an "off the beaten path" area of the city loved by locals and get a feel for what makes the city so special
- Visit some of the main tourist sites, get insider insights from your Host and discover hidden gems along the way
- Focus on a specific neighbourhood or larger area of the city, discover its streets and places locals frequent and get a real insight into what really makes the city beat
- Explore an area of the city that offers interesting things to see and do day and night and stop for a drink at some of the best bars along the way
- Visit a child friendly area of the city and have time for the kids to run around and explore any interesting shops and attractions. Get advice from your Host on child friendly places to eat and visit during your stay
- See all or most of the main tourist sites in different locations of the city, stop for a drink or quick lunch at a cafe or restaurant recommended by your Host and based on what you like, get insider insights and discover hidden gems along the way
- Mix it! Visit some of the main tourist sites and then go off to explore an off the beaten path neighbourhood loved by locals. Stop for a drink or quick lunch along the way
- Choose a theme such as food discovery, best markets, vintage shopping, music scene, trendy scene, history, art etc and let your Host plan an outing across several areas of the city covering the best of your chosen theme
- Give your Host a list of all the places you want to visit and things you want to do and let him/her plan an outing that makes the most of your time including organising tickets to attractions etc.
- See all the main tourist sites in different locations of the city, stop for lunch at a cafe or restaurant recommended by your Host, have time to pop into any shops, galleries or places of interest along the way, get insider insights and discover hidden gems
- Mix it! Visit the main tourist sites and then go off to explore one or more off the beaten path neighbourhoods loved by locals. Stop for lunch or dinner and drinks along the way