museums, Food, Cinema, walking, Meeting new people
1. find and book
Find and book an experience or browse our Host's profiles and book your favourite one directly
2. tell us about you
We'll send a questionnaire to find out more about you, the places and things you want to see and the type of experience you're after
3. chat & plan
We'll match you to your ideal Host (if you didn't book one directly) and they'll contact you to plan your personalised experience.
4. explore together
Meet up and explore the city together. Experience the things and places that locals love and which make the city unique
My most exciting things to do in Edinburgh
People who viewed Sarah also viewed these hosts
I have been a member of couchsurfing for 5 years now and have received positive reviews from people all over the world. This just seems like a natural progression from that. I already give my guests tips on things to do in Edinburgh depending on the tastes. I really enjoy meeting new people and am proud to show them the city I live in through my eyes.
James Is Great For
Food & Drink, LGBTQ, Off-the-beaten-path, Senior travellers, Solo travellers
I am an Edinburgh boy, born and bred. I’ve been a taxi driver for 16 years and a qualified tour guide for 1 year. I am so passionate about Edinburgh. It is a wonderful place to live and the history, building, views and culture are spectacular. Come on a half day or full day tour of the Old town and or new towns and see the UNESCO protected Ancient architecture of the old town and the grand Georgian architecture of the New Town. I also specialise in Outlander tours. I have knowledge of all the locations and this can be incorporated into a 1-3 day tour depending on your requirements. For younger folk I also specialise in Harry Potter tours. I am also a keen runner and walker with extensive knowledge of Edinburgh, The Pentland Hills, Loch Leven, West highland way etc. I also have extensive knowledge of the Jacobite uprisings and can show you all the places where Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed in Edinburgh when he took over the city in 1745. Each tour is bespoke to your exact needs.
Stephen Is Great For
Food & Drink, High-end travellers, LGBTQ, Off-the-beaten-path, Senior travellers, Solo travellers, Children and families, Young adults
I'm a Chemical Physics graduate currently running The Potter Trail (Edinburgh's Harry Potter tours), touring science shows for kids with the Edinburgh International Science Festival and aspiring to be a comedy writer/performer with my sketch group Planet Caramel. I'm very outgoing and enjoy learning from other people. I'm always looking to entertain and get great pleasure in communicating ideas in a clear and interesting way. Comedy is my main passion in life and I try to inject a bit of it into everything I do. The Edinburgh Fringe is my Christmas and I've performed in it every year since 2011. I'm already very experienced as a tour guide receiving almost exclusively 5 star reviews on Trip Advisor for my tours. My enthusiasm for Edinburgh is boundless and I am to make you love this city as much as I do!
Richard Is Great For
Business travellers, Children and families, Food & Drink, High-end travellers, History and culture, LGBTQ, Nightlife, Off-the-beaten-path, Parks and nature, Senior travellers, Solo travellers, Young adults
Not sure which Local to book? We know each of our Locals individually, so leave it to us to find the Local who best matches your interests, personality and requirements. Simply book below and we’ll be in touch within 24 hours to find out more about you so we can choose a like-minded Local who can create an experience in Edinburgh that you will love. Alternatively, contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the proposed details of your trip so we can find the perfect Local for you!
Your Perfect Local Is Great For
Food & Drink, High-end travellers, LGBTQ, Off-the-beaten-path, Nightlife, Senior travellers, Solo travellers, Children and families, Young adults
English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Hindi, Italian, German, Dutch, & many others
Sarah | EdinburghReview by: Link N
Wonderful Tour of Edinburgh
Sarah was prompt in meeting us at our flat and once introductions were complete the information started flowing. She took care in making sure she addressed our list of items we wanted to see and hear about. She provided suggestions of restaurants and other activities to do with our time in Edinburgh. Sarah is very knowledgeable about Edinburgh and Scotland's history. She was also available to answer several questions we had during the rest of our stay on Edinburgh.
Sarah | EdinburghReview by: Chelsea M
A New Best Friend
Sarah was the single most wonderful tour guide I have had in my lifetime of travelling (36 countries & counting)! My boyfriend and I toured Edinburgh with her for an afternoon, and she was very knowledgeable and friendly! We learned so much about the city in our 4 hours with her. In the end, it felt like we truly made a new best friend. I cannot say enough about Sarah and highly recommend her for anyone looking for a fun and informative tour guide while in Scotland. Grazie mille, Sarah!
Sarah | EdinburghReview by: Brigit B
Sarah | EdinburghReview by: Espen E
We had a super experience with Sarah in Edinburgh
How many hours should you book?
Following is a brief guide to help you decide how many hours to book your Host for
- Meet your Host for a coffee anywhere in the city or at your hotel and get advice on things to do and see during your stay
- Explore a small area or street of the city to get insider insights and advice from your Host
- Explore a mainstream area of the city to see the main tourist sites but also to discover hidden gems that most tourists miss
- Discover an "off the beaten path" area of the city loved by locals and get a feel for what makes the city so special
- Visit some of the main tourist sites, get insider insights from your Host and discover hidden gems along the way
- Focus on a specific neighbourhood or larger area of the city, discover its streets and places locals frequent and get a real insight into what really makes the city beat
- Explore an area of the city that offers interesting things to see and do day and night and stop for a drink at some of the best bars along the way
- Visit a child friendly area of the city and have time for the kids to run around and explore any interesting shops and attractions. Get advice from your Host on child friendly places to eat and visit during your stay
- See all or most of the main tourist sites in different locations of the city, stop for a drink or quick lunch at a cafe or restaurant recommended by your Host and based on what you like, get insider insights and discover hidden gems along the way
- Mix it! Visit some of the main tourist sites and then go off to explore an off the beaten path neighbourhood loved by locals. Stop for a drink or quick lunch along the way
- Choose a theme such as food discovery, best markets, vintage shopping, music scene, trendy scene, history, art etc and let your Host plan an outing across several areas of the city covering the best of your chosen theme
- Give your Host a list of all the places you want to visit and things you want to do and let him/her plan an outing that makes the most of your time including organising tickets to attractions etc.
- See all the main tourist sites in different locations of the city, stop for lunch at a cafe or restaurant recommended by your Host, have time to pop into any shops, galleries or places of interest along the way, get insider insights and discover hidden gems
- Mix it! Visit the main tourist sites and then go off to explore one or more off the beaten path neighbourhoods loved by locals. Stop for lunch or dinner and drinks along the way